The theatre major prepares students for careers in acting, design and technology, production, management and teaching. A graduate is expected to possess the following competencies: the ability to understand and apply the skills necessary for success as an actor or actress; to prepare students, non-students and professionals for theatrical presentations; to direct, produce and manage the overall operations of a theatre; to possess an understanding of the role of theatre in today’s society and to the theatre of other cultures.
- Successfully develop ongoing audition material to be utilized in professional auditions in the pursuit of professional theatre employment.
- Successfully develop production concepts and ideas for theatrical productions.
- Successfully develop short plays, one-act plays, and full length plays ready for production.
- Design/Technical Production:
- Successfully develop a design/technical portfolio (both physical and digital) to be utilized in the acquisition of professional theatre employment.
- Successfully create fully realized designs through the use and development of learned skills.
- Successfully utilize the management and public relations skills applied within the theatre industry.
- Theatrical Education:
- Successfully utilize theatrical techniques (including acting, directing, design, and management) for use in primary and secondary education.
|Core Curriculum Courses|
|See the Core Curriculum Requirements||42|
|Required courses in the major|
|6 sh of practicum courses THE 109, THE 209, THE 309,THE 409||6|
|GLB/US-Intro to Theatre *|
|THE 2341||Oral Interpretation||3|
|or THE 311||Readers Theatre|
|THE 1351||Fund of Acting||3|
|THE 215||Technical Theatre||3|
|THE 316||Lighting I||3|
|or THE 349||Costume Design|
|or THE 366||Scene Design I|
|THE 340||History Of Theatre I||3|
|THE 415||Stage Directing I||3|
|THE 440||History of Theatre II||3|
|THE 445||Projects in Acting||3|
|or THE 345||Acting Period Styles|
|THE 480||Lyric Theatre||3|
|THE 489||Independent Study||4|
|or THE 490||H Honors Thesis|
|or THE 495||Senior Theatre Project|
|THE 236||Voice and Diction||3|
|20 sh of advanced (300/400) electives must be completed||20|
|18 sh in a minor is required||18|
A grade of “C” or higher must be earned in all courses required for this major.